PAPACHRISTOU DIONYSIOS, Professor
Sector: Division of Basic Medical Sciences II
Clinic/Laboratory: Department of Anatomy
Knowledge Subject: Microscopic and Macroscopic Anatomy, with emphasis to the MSK system
Research Area: Βone and soft tissue pathology, bone biology, metabolic and degenerative bone diseases, pathobiology of obesity-related bone diseases, mechanisms of fracture healing, links between bone biology and GI tract pathologies (esp. pancreatic and liver diseases)
Panepistimioupolis Patron, Preclinical Research Building, Dept. of Anatomy-Histology-Embryology, Laboratory of Bone and Soft Tissue Studies 2nd Floor, Room B48
Summary of Curriculum Vitae
Prof. Dionysios Papachristou is a physician and specialized pathologist. He obtained his MD and PhD at the Medical School of the University of Patras,. He had postdoctoral training on bone biology and pathology at the Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA (2004-2006), where he also served as full time faculty member (2007-2009). He was a visiting clinician at the Department of Pathology at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA at the Division of Bone Pathology (2006). Currently, Dr. Papachristou is Associate Professor of Anatomy-Histology-Embryology, University of Patras, School of Medicine and Assistant Professor (Adj.) of Pathology at the University of Pittsburgh.
His research interests focus on: 1) the pathogenesis of bone and soft tissue tumors, 2) the pathobiology of metabolic bone diseases and other related conditions, 3) the investigation of the mechanisms of bone metastases. 4) the role of mechanotransduction in bone metabolism 5) Molecular mechanisms of fracture healing
He is member of the International Bone and Mineral Society (IBMS), the European Calcified Tissue Society (ECTS), the American Bone Mineral Society (ABMS), the European Association for Cancer Research (EACR), Greek Society of Pathology. Prof. Papachristou is Vice President of the Hellenic Group of Sarcomas and Rare Cancers (EOSS) and coordinator of the "Bone and Soft Tissue Working Group" of the Hellenic Society of Pathology.
Dr. Papachristou has published over 90 original articles in high-impact peer reviewed journals in his field and is involved in international collaborations in the area of bone-related sciences.
His research is currently funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 874896 SC1-BHC-07-2019 (SBR) : Regenerative medicine: from new insights to new applications (Participant; co-ordinator Prof. Elias Panagiotopoulos)
Previous Grants (funding): European Marie Curie FP7-PEOPLE-RG-2009, #256402 Grant and the « KARATHODORI » Research Grant by the University of Patras and Research Grant by the University of Pittsburgh (IRB#612060). He is director of the Unit of Bone and Soft Tissue Studies of the Dept. of Anatomy-Histology-Embryology of the Medical School of the UPatras. He is coordinator of the intrauniversity scientific network of the University of Pattras, "OsteoNet" (www.osteonet.gr).
- Anatomy I (Semester: 2nd)
- Anatomy II (Semester: 3rd)
- Pathology I (Semester: 4th)
- Pathology II (Semester: 5th)
- Gastrointestinal (Semester: 6th)
- Pathobiology of Bone Tissue Disorders (Semester: 5th)
- Histology I (Semester: 2nd)
- Histology II (Semester: 3rd)
Postgraduate Courses: 1. Research Methodology 2. Interesting Research Topics 3. Molecular Anatomy 4. Postgraduate Stuednt Seminars 5. Basics of human body Anatomy 6. Current topics in biomedical research 7. Clinical Skills (peer-reviewing)
PUBLICATIONS (Abstracts not included)
- Kastrenopoulou, A., Kypreos, K. E., Papachristou, N. I., Georgopoulos, S., Mastora, I., Papadimitriou-Olivgeri, I., ... & Papachristou, D. J. (2022). ApoA1 Deficiency Reshapes the Phenotypic and Molecular Characteristics of Bone Marrow Adipocytes in Mice. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 23(9), 4834.
- Daoussis, D., Kanellou, A., Panagiotopoulos, E., & Papachristou, D. (2022). DKK-1 Is Underexpressed in Mesenchymal Stem Cells from Patients with Ankylosing Spondylitis and Further Downregulated by IL-17. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 23(12), 6660.
- Robinson, L. J., Soboloff, J., Tourkova, I. L., Larrouture, Q. C., Papachristou, D. J., Gross, S., ... & Blair, H. C. (2022). The calcium channel Orai1 is required for osteoblast development: studies in a chimeric mouse with variable in vivo Runx-cre deletion of Orai-1. bioRxiv.
- Prokopi, N., Andrikopoulos, K. S., Beobide, A. S., Voyiatzis, G. A., & Papachristou, D. J. (2021). Collagen orientation probed by polarized Raman spectra can serve as differential diagnosis indicator between different grades of meniscus degeneration. Scientific Reports, 11(1), 1-10.
- Papachristou, D. J., Georgopoulos, S., Giannoudis, P. V., & Panagiotopoulos, E. (2021). Insights into the Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms That Govern the Fracture-Healing Process: A Narrative Review. Journal of Clinical Medicine, 10(16), 3554.
- Ioannidis, K., Danalatos, R.I., Champeris Tsaniras, S., Kaplani, K., Lokka, G., Kanellou, A., Papachristou, D.J., Bokias, G., Lygerou, Z. and Taraviras, S., 2020. A custom ultra-low-cost 3D bioprinter supports cell growth and differentiation. Frontiers in bioengineering and biotechnology, 8, p.580889.
- Chourpiliadis, C., Karvounis, E., Hourpiliadi, H., Papachristou, D., Antoniou, G., Jaume, J. and Paparodis, R., 2020, November. Associations Between Lipid Concentrations and Bone Mineral Density in a Cohort of Patients With History of Fractures. In JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH (Vol. 35, pp. 222-223). 111 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN 07030-5774, NJ USA: WILEY.
- Sutjarit, N., Thongon, N., Weerachayaphorn, J., Piyachaturawat, P., Suksamrarn, A., Suksen, K., Papachristou, D.J. and Blair, H.C., 2020. Inhibition of adipogenic differentiation of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells by a phytoestrogen diarylheptanoid from Curcuma comosa. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 68(37), pp.9993-10002.
- Tourkova IL, Dobrowolski SF, Secunda C…Papachristou DJ and Blair HC. The high-density lipoprotein receptor Scarb1 is required for normal bone differentiation in vivo and in vitro [published correction appears in Lab Invest. 2020 May;100(5):790]. Lab Invest. 2019;99(12):1850‐1860.
- 10.Malzahn J, Kastrenopoulou A, Papadimitriou-Olivgeri I, Papachristou DJ et al. Immunophenotypic expression of UCP1 in hibernoma and other adipose/non adipose soft tissue tumours. Clin Sarcoma Res. 2019;9:8. Published 2019 May 13. doi:10.1186/s13569-019-0118-1
- 11.Karatzas A, Karamitros A, Paraskevopoulos I, Papachristou DJ.et al. Haematocrit and haemoglobin decrease following image-guided percutaneous core needle biopsies. Clin Radiol. 2020;75(2):158.e9‐158.e14. doi:10.1016/j.crad.2019.10.010
- 12.Daoussis D, Kraniotis P, Filippopoulou A,…Papachristou DJ. et al. An MRI study of immune checkpoint inhibitor-induced musculoskeletal manifestations myofasciitis is the prominent imaging finding. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2020;59(5):1041‐1050.
- 13.Daousis D, Papachristou DJ, et al. Dickkopf-1 is downregulated early and universally in the skin of patients with systemic sclerosis despite normal circulating levels and function of the molecule. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2018 Jul-Aug;36 Suppl 113(4):45-49. Epub 2018 Sep 28.
- 14.Aggelidakis J, Berdiaki A, Nikitovic D, Papoutsidakis A, Papachristou DJ, Tsatsakis AM, Tzanakakis GN. Biglycan Regulates MG63 Osteosarcoma Cell Growth Through a LPR6/β-Catenin/IGFR-IR Signaling Axis. Front Oncol. 2018 Oct 23;8:470. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2018.00470. eCollection 2018.
- 15.Papachristou NI,…, Papachristou DJ. Western-type Diet Differentially Modulates Osteoblast, Osteoclast and Lipoblast Differentiation and Activation in a Background of APOE Deficiency.Lab Invest. 2018 Sep 11. doi: 10.1038/s41374-018-0107-7. [Epub ahead of print]
- 16.Papachristou NI, Blair HC, Kypreos KE, Papachristou DJ. Lipoprotein metabolism and bone mass. Journal of Endocrinology 233 (2), R95-R107, 2017 (AWARDED: Highly-read Authors)
- 17.M Mytilinaiou, D Nikitovic, A Berdiaki, A Papoutsidakis, DJ Papachristou, et al. IGF-I regulates HT1080 fibrosarcoma cell migration through a syndecan-2/Erk/ezrin signaling axis. Experimental cell research 361 (1), 9-18, 2017
- 18.PN Karamanakos, DT Trafalis, DJ Papachristou, ES Panteli, ...Evidence for the efficacy of disulfiram and copper combination in glioblastoma multiforme-A propos of a case. Journal of BUON.: official journal of the Balkan Union of Oncology, 2017
- 19.D Anastasakis, I Skeparnias, AN Shaukat, K Grafanaki, A Kanellou,..DJ Papachristou et al. Mammalian PNLDC1 is a novel poly (A) specific exonuclease with discrete expression during early development. Nucleic acids research 44 (18), 8908-8920, 2016
- 21.Blair HC, Kalyvioti E, Papachristou NI, Tourkova IL, Syggelos SA, Deligianni D, Orkoula MG, Kontoyannis CG, Karavia EA, Kypreos KE, Papachristou DJ. Apolipoprotein A-1 regulates osteoblast and lipoblast precursor cells in mice. Lab Invest 2016; (): . PMID: 27088511 DOI: 10.1038/labinvest.2016.51
- 22.D Daoussis, A Tsamandas, I Antonopoulos, A Filippopoulou,..DJ Papachristou, et al. B cell depletion therapy upregulates Dkk-1 skin expression in patients with systemic sclerosis: association with enhanced resolution of skin fibrosis. Arthritis research & therapy 18 (1), 118, 2016
- 23.K Voudouri, D Nikitovic, A Berdiaki, DJ Papachristou, J Tsiaoussis, et al. Heparin regulates B6FS cell motility through a FAK/actin cytoskeleton axis. Oncology reports 36 (5), 2471-2480, 2016
- 24.D Nikitovic, RM Kavasi, A Berdiaki, DJ Papachristou, J Tsiaoussis, et al. Parathyroid hormone/parathyroid hormone-related peptide regulate osteosarcoma cell functions: focus on the extracellular matrix. Oncology reports 36 (4), 1787-1792, 2016
- 25.Papachristou DJ, Blair HC. Bone and high-density lipoprotein: The beginning of a beautiful friendship. World J Orthop 2016; 7 (2): 74-7. PMID: 26925377DOI: 10.5312/wjo.v7.i2.74
- Petridis T, Giannakopoulou D, Stamatopoulou V, Grafanaki K, Kostopoulos CG, Papadaki H, Malavaki CJ, Karamanos NK, Douroumi S, Papachristou D, Magoulas GE, Papaioannou D, Drainas D. Investigation on Toxicity and Teratogenicity in Rats of a Retinoid-Polyamine Conjugate with Potent Anti-Inflammatory Properties. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 2016; 107 (1): 32-44. PMID: 26762583 DOI: 10.1002/bdrb.21170
- 27. VA Kontogeorgakos, DJ Papachristou, S Varitimidis. Fibro-Osseous Pseudotumor of the Hand. The Journal of Hand Surgery (Asian-Pacific Volume) 21 (02), 269-272, 2016
- Korpetinou A, Papachristou DJ, Lampropoulou A, Bouris P, Labropoulou VT, Noulas A, Karamanos NK, Theocharis AD. Increased Expression of Serglycin in Specific Carcinomas and Aggressive Cancer Cell Lines. Biomed Res Int 2015; 2015 (): 690721. PMID: 26581653 DOI: 10.1155/2015/690721
- Klavdianou K, Liossis SN, Papachristou DJ, Theocharis G, Sirinian C, Kottorou A, Filippopoulou A, Andonopoulos AP, Daoussis D. Decreased Serotonin Levels and Serotonin-Mediated Osteoblastic Inhibitory Signaling in Patients With Ankylosing Spondylitis. J Bone Miner Res 2016; 31 (3): 630-9. PMID: 2642054 DOI: 10.1002/jbmr.2724
- Karavia EA, Hatziri A, Kalogeropoulou C, Papachristou NI, Xepapadaki E, Constantinou C, Natsos A, Petropoulou PI, Sasson S, Papachristou DJ, Kypreos KE. Deficiency in apolipoprotein A-I ablates the pharmacological effects of metformin on plasma glucose homeostasis and hepatic lipid deposition. Eur J Pharmacol 2015; 766 (): 76-85. PMID: 26420354 DOI: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2015.09.040
- Karavia EA, Papachristou NI, Sakellaropoulos GC, Xepapadaki E, Papamichail E, Petropoulou PI, Papakosta EP, Constantinou C, Habeos I, Papachristou DJ, Kypreos KE. Scavenger Receptor Class B Type I Regulates Plasma Apolipoprotein E Levels and Dietary Lipid Deposition to the Liver. Biochemistry 2015; 54 (36): 5605-16. PMID: 26313465 DOI: 10.1021/acs.biochem.5b00700
- 32.Panagopoulos A, Tsoumpos P, Tatani I, Iliopoulos I, Papachristou D. Giant Cell Tumor of the Patella Tendon Sheath Presenting as a Painful Locked Knee. Am J Case Rep 2015; 16 (): 568-73. PMID: 26302970 DOI: 10.12659/AJCR.893849
- 33.Prodromaki E, Korpetinou A, Giannopoulou E, Vlotinou E, Chatziathanasiadou Μ, Papachristou NI, Scopa CD, Papadaki H, Kalofonos HP, Papachristou DJ. Expression of the microRNA regulators Drosha, Dicer and Ago2 in non-small cell lung carcinomas. Cell Oncol (Dordr) 2015; 38 (4): 307-17. PMID: 26227789 DOI: 10.1007/s13402-015-0231-y
- 34.Blair HC, Sepulveda J, Papachristou DJ. Nature and nurture in atherosclerosis: The roles of acylcarnitine and cell membrane-fatty acid intermediates. Vascul Pharmacol 2016; 78 (): 17-23. PMID: 26133667 DOI: 10.1016/j.vph.2015.06.012
- 35.Filou S, Korpetinou A, Kyriakopoulou D, Bounias D, Stavropoulos M, Ravazoula P, Papachristou DJ, Theocharis AD, Vynios DH. ADAMTS expression in colorectal cancer. PLoS One 2015; 10 (3): e0121209. PMID: 25786261 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0121209
- 36.Giannopoulou E, Siatis KE, Metsiou D, Kritikou I, Papachristou DJ, Kalofonou M, Koutras A, Athanassiou G, Kalofonos HP. The inhibition of aromatase alters the mechanical and rheological properties of non-small-cell lung cancer cell lines affecting cell migration. Biochim Biophys Acta 2015; 1853 (2): 328-37. PMID: 25450981 DOI: 10.1016/j.bbamcr.2014.11.016
- 37.Kontogeorgakos VA, Papachristou DJ, Malizos KN. Eosinophilic granuloma of the sternum in a child treated with closed biopsy. Pediatr Int 2014; 56 (3): 417-9. PMID: 24894927 DOI: 10.1111/ped.12263
- 38.Ziros PG, Manolakou SD, Habeos IG, Lilis I, Chartoumpekis DV, Koika V, Soares P, Kyriazopoulou VE, Scopa CD, Papachristou DJ, Sykiotis GP. Nrf2 is commonly activated in papillary thyroid carcinoma, and it controls antioxidant transcriptional responses and viability of cancer cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013; 98 (8): E1422-7. PMID: 23766517 DOI: 10.1210/jc.2013-1510
- 39.Skliris A, Labropoulou VT, Papachristou DJ, Aletras A, Karamanos NK, Theocharis AD. Cell-surface serglycin promotes adhesion of myeloma cells to collagen type I and affects the expression of matrix metalloproteinases. FEBS J 2013; 280 (10): 2342-52.
- 40.Triantaphyllidou IE, Kalyvioti E, Karavia E, Lilis I, Kypreos KE, Papachristou DJ. Perturbations in the HDL metabolic pathway predispose to the development of osteoarthritis in mice following long-term exposure to western-type diet. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2013; 21 (2): 322-30.
- 41.Filou S, Stylianou M, Triantaphyllidou IE, Papadas T, Mastronikolis NS, Goumas PD, Papachristou DJ, Ravazoula P, Skandalis SS, Vynios DH. Expression and distribution of aggrecanases in human larynx: ADAMTS-5/aggrecanase-2 is the main aggrecanase in laryngeal carcinoma. Biochimie 2013; 95 (4): 725-34.
- 42.Karavia EA, Papachristou DJ, Kotsikogianni I, Triantafyllidou IE, Kypreos KE. Lecithin/cholesterol acyltransferase modulates diet-induced hepatic deposition of triglycerides in mice. J Nutr Biochem 2012; 24 (3): 567-77.
- 43.Karadimas SK, Klironomos G, Papachristou DJ, Papanikolaou S, Papadaki E, Gatzounis G. Immunohistochemical Profile of NF-κB/p50, NF-κB/p65, MMP-9, MMP-2 and u-PA in Experimental Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2013; 38 (1): 4-10.
- 44.Karavia EA, Papachristou DJ, Liopeta K, Triantafyllidou IE, Dimitrakopoulos O, Kypreos KE. Apolipoprotein A-I modulates Processes Associated with Diet-Induced Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Mice. Mol Med 2012; 18 (9): 901-12.
- 45.Pagoulatou E, Triantaphyllidou IE, Vynios DH, Papachristou DJ, Koletsis E, Deligianni D, Mavrilas D. Biomechanical and structural changes following the decellularization of bovine pericardial tissues for use as a tissue engineering scaffold. J Mater Sci Mater Med 2012; 23 (6): 1387-96.
- 46.Lazana I, Zoudiari A, Kokkinou D, Themeli M, Liga M, Papadaki E, Papachristou D, Spyridonidis A. Identification of a novel HLA-G+ regulatory population in blood: expansion after allogeneic transplantation and de novo HLA-G expression at GvHD sites. Haematologica 2012; 97 (9): 1338-47.
- 47.Kontogeorgakos V, Korompilias A, Georgousis M, Papachristou D. Digital metastasis presenting as infection. J Hand Microsurg 2011; 3 (1): 25-7.
- 48.Karavia EA, Papachristou DJ, Kotsikogianni I, Giopanou I, Kypreos KE. Deficiency in apolipoprotein E has a protective effect on diet-induced nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in mice. FEBS J 2011; 278 (17): 3119-29.
- 49.Papachristou DJ, Sklirou E, Corradi D, Grassani C, Kontogeorgakos V, Rao UN. Immunohistochemical analysis of the endoribonucleases Drosha, Dicer and Ago2 in smooth muscle tumours of soft tissues. Histopathology 2012;60: E28-36.
- 50.Papachristou DJ, Basdra EK, Papavassiliou AG. Bone metastases: Molecular mechanisms and novel therapeutic interventions. Med Res Rev 2012; 32 (3): 611-36
- 51.Papachristou DJ, Korpetinou A, Giannopoulou E, Antonacopoulou AG, Papadaki H, Grivas P, Scopa CD, Kalofonos HP. Expression of the ribonucleases Drosha, Dicer, and Ago2 in colorectal carcinomas. Virchows Arch 2011, 459: 431-40.
- 52.Papachristou DJ, Rao UN, Korpetinou A, Giannopoulou E, Sklirou E, Kontogeorgakos V, Kalofonos HP. Prognostic significance of Dicer cellular levels in soft tissue sarcomas. Cancer Invest 2011; 30 (2): 172-9.
- 53.Klironomos G, Karadimas S, Mavrakis A, Mirilas P, Savvas I, Papadaki E, Papachristou DJ, Gatzounis G. New experimental rabbit animal model for cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Spinal Cord 2011; 49 (11): 1097-102.
- 54.Papachristou DJ, Goodman M, Cieply K, Rao UN. Extraskeletal Osteosarcoma of Subcutaneous Soft Tissue with Lymph Node and Skin Metastasis: A Case Report with Fluorescence in Situ Hybridization Analysis. Pathol Oncol Res 2011; 18(1): 107-10.
- 55.Papathanassiou ZG, Petsas T, Papachristou D, Megas P. Radiofrequency ablation of osteoid osteomas: five years experience. Acta Orthop Belg 2011; 77 (6): 827-33.
- 56.Gkouva L, Andrikoula M, Kontogeorgakos V, Papachristou DJ, Tsatsoulis A. Active Paget's disease of bone with normal biomarkers of bone metabolism: a case report and review of the literature. Clin Rheumatol 2011; 30 (1): 139-44.
- 57.Gkizas SI, Apostolakis E, Pagoulatou E, Mavrilas D, Papachristou DJ, Koletsis E, Papalois A, Papadaki H, Alexopoulos D. Aldosterone receptor inhibition alters the viscoelastic biomechanical behavior of the aortic wall. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2010; 235 (3): 311-6.
- 58.Klironomos G, Bravou V, Papachristou DJ, Gatzounis G, Varakis J, Parassi E, Repanti M, Papadaki H. Loss of inhibitor of growth (ING-4) is implicated in the pathogenesis and progression of human astrocytomas. Brain Pathol 2010; 20 (2): 490-7.
- 59.Athanassiou V, Papachristou DJ, Panagopoulos A, Saridis A, Scopa C, Megas P. Histological comparison of autograft, allograft-DBM, xenograft, and synthetic grafts in trabecular bone defect: an experimental study. Med Sci Monit 16:BR24-31;2010.
- 60.Papachristou GI, Muddana V, Papachristou DJ, Stello K, Whitcomb DC. Epidermal growth factor serum levels and the 61 G/A polymorphism in patients with acute pancreatitis. Dig Dis Sci 2010; 55 (9): 2676-80.
- 61.Mazis N, Papachristou DJ, Zouboulis P, Tyllianakis M, Scopa CD, Megas P. The effect of different physical activity levels on muscle fiber size and type distribution of lumbar multifidus. A biopsy study on low back pain patient groups and healthy control subjects. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 45:459-67;2009
- 62.Megas P, Papathanassiou ZG, Kasimatis G, Papachristou DJ. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the scapula. A case report. Acta Orthop Belg 2009; 75 (5): 684-9.
- 63.Papachristou DJ, Papachroni KK, Papavassiliou GA, Pirttiniemi P, Gorgoulis VG, Piperi C, Basdra EK. Functional alterations in mechanical loading of condylar cartilage induces changes in the bony subcondylar region. Arch Oral Biol 2009; 54 (11): 1035-45
- 64.Sarris JN, Papachristou DJ, Panteliou SD. Modal Dumping as bone quality index: Experimemtation on women's femora. IEEExplore. Digital Library, 2011
- 65.Papachristou DJ, Papachroni KK, Basdra EK, Papavassiliou AG. Signaling networks and transcription factors regulating mechanotransduction in bone. Bioessays 2009; 31 (7): 794-804.
- 66.Papachristou DJ, Palekar A, Surti U, Cieply K, McGough RL, Rao UN. Malignant granular cell tumor of the ulnar nerve with novel cytogenetic and molecular genetic findings. Cancer Genet Cytogenet 2009; 191 (1): 46-50.
- 67.Kontogeorgakos VA, Xenakis T, Papachristou D, Korompilias A, Kanellopoulos A,, Beris A, Brigman B. Cortical desmoid and the four clinical scenarios. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2009; 129 (6): 779-85.
- 68.Papachristou DJ, Gkretsi V, Rao UN, Papachristou GI, Papaefthymiou OA, Basdra EK, Wu C, Papavassiliou AG. Expression of integrin-linked kinase and its bindingpartners in chondrosarcoma: association with prognostic significance. Eur J Cancer 2008; 44 (16): 2518-25
- 69.Papathanassiou ZG, Megas P, Petsas T, Papachristou DJ, Nilas J, Siablis D. Osteoid osteoma: diagnosis and treatment. Orthopedics 2008; 31 (11): 1118.
- 70.Papachristou DJ, Papadakou E, Basdra EK, Baltopoulos P, Panagiotopoulos E, Papavassiliou AG. Involvement of the p38 MAPK-NF-kappaB signal transduction pathway and COX-2 in the pathobiology of meniscus degeneration in humans. Mol Med 2008 Mar-Apr; 14 (3-4): 160-6.
- 71.Aoun E, Slivka A, Papachristou DJ, Gleeson FC, Whitcomb DC, Papachristou GI. Rapid evolution from the first episode of acute pancreatitis to chronic pancreatitis in human subjects. J Pancreas 2007; 8 (5): 573-8.
- 72.Papachristou DJ, Gkretsi V, Tu Y, Shi X, Chen K, Larjava H, Rao UN, Wu C. Increased cytoplasmic level of migfilin is associated with higher grades of human leiomyosarcoma. Histopathology 2007; 51 (4): 499-508.
- 73.Papadopoulou AK, Papachristou DJ, Chatzopoulos SA, Pirttiniemi P, Papavassiliou AG, Basdra EK. Load application induces changes in the expression levels of Sox-9, FGFR-3 and VEGF in condylar chondrocytes. FEBS Lett 2007; 581 (10): 2041-6.
- 74.Kontogeorgakos VA, Lykissas MG, Mavrodontidis AN, Sioros V, Papachristou D, Batistatou AK, Beris AE. Turret exostosis of the hallux. J Foot Ankle Surg 2007 Mar-Apr; 46 (2): 130-2.
- 75.Papachristou GI, Gleeson FC, Papachristou DJ, Petersen BT, Baron TH. Endoscopist administered sedation during ERCP: impact of chronic narcotic/benzodiazepine use and predictive risk of reversal agent utilization. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102 (4): 738-43.
- 76.Papachristou DJ, Papavassiliou AG. Osteosarcoma and chondrosarcoma: new signaling pathways as targets for novel therapeutic interventions. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 2007; 39 (5): 857-62.
- 77.Papachristou GI, Papachristou DJ, Morinville VD, Slivka A, Whitcomb DC. Chronic alcohol consumption is a major risk factor for pancreatic necrosis in acute pancreatitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2006; 101 (11): 2605-10.
- 78.Papachristou DJ, Goodman MA, Cieply K, Hunt JL, Rao UN. Comparison of allelic losses in chondroblastoma and primary chondrosarcoma of bone and correlation with fluorescence in situ hybridization analysis. Hum Pathol 2006; 37 (7): 890-8.
- 79.Papachristou GI, Papachristou DJ, Avula H, Slivka A, Whitcomb DC. Obesity increases the severity of acute pancreatitis: performance of APACHE-O score and correlation with the inflammatory response. Pancreatology 2006; 6 (4): 279-85.
- 80.Sun L, Peng Y, Sharrow AC, Iqbal J, Zhang Z, Papachristou DJ, Zaidi S, Zhu LL, Yaroslavskiy BB, Zhou H, Zallone A, Sairam MR, Kumar TR, Bo W, Braun J, Cardoso-Landa L, Schaffler MB, Moonga BS, Blair HC, Zaidi M. FSH directly regulates bone mass. Cell 2006; 125 (2): 247-60.
- 81.Papachristou GI, Papachristou DJ, Schoedel K, McGrath K, Slivka A. Systemic silicosis that involves the pancreas. Gastrointest Endosc 2006; 63 (1): 170-2.
- 82.Papachristou D, Pirttiniemi P, Kantomaa T, Agnantis N, Basdra EK. Fos- and Jun-related transcription factors are involved in the signal transduction pathway of mechanical loading in condylar chondrocytes. Eur J Orthod 2006; 28 (1): 20-6.
- 83.Papachristou DJ, Papachristou GI, Papachristou GJ, Papaefthimiou OA, Agnantis NJ, Basdra EK, Papavassiliou AG. The MAPK-AP-1/-Runx2 signalling axes are implicated in chondrosarcoma pathobiology either independently or via up-regulation of VEGF. Histopathology 2005; 47 (6): 565-74.
- 84.Kalambokis G, Economou G, Kamina S, Papachristou DJ, Bai M, Tsianos EV. Multiple brown tumors of the ribs simulating malignancy. J Endocrinol Invest 2005; 28 (8): 738-40.
- 85.Pakos EE, Goussia AC, Tsekeris PG, Papachristou DJ, Stefanou D, Agnantis NJ. Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and its receptor, KDR/Flk-1, in soft tissue sarcomas. Anticancer Res 2005 Sep-Oct; 25 (5): 3591-6.
- 86.Papachristou DJ, Pirttiniemi P, Kantomaa T, Papavassiliou AG, Basdra EK. JNK/ERK-AP-1/Runx2 induction "paves the way" to cartilage load-ignited chondroblastic differentiation. Histochem Cell Biol 2005; 124 (3-4): 215-23.
- 87.Stefanou D, Batistatou A, Zioga A, Arkoumani E, Papachristou DJ, Agnantis NJ. Immunohistochemical expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and C-KIT in cutaneous melanocytic lesions. Int J Surg Pathol 2004; 12 (2): 133-8
- 88.Stefanou D, Batistatou A, Kamina S, Arkoumani E, Papachristou DJ, Agnantis NJ. Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and association with microvessel density in benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostate cancer. In Vivo 2004 Mar-Apr; 18 (2): 155-60.
- 89.Papachristou DJ, Batistatou A, Sykiotis GP, Varakis I, Papavassiliou AG. Activation of the JNK-AP-1 signal transduction pathway is associated with pathogenesis and progression of human osteosarcomas. Bone 2003; 32 (4): 364-71.
- 90.Papadopoulos A, Karageorgos A, Tyllianakis M, Sourgiadaki E, Tsota I, Papachristou DJ, Lambiris E. Exchange of Ilizarov External Fixation by Intramedullary Nail, During Callus Consolidation Phase of Limb Lengthening: An Experimental Sheep Model. Osteosynthesis and Trauma Care 2002;10:184-7.
About 20 invited lectures diring the last 3 years
SEMINARS AND INVITED LECTURESHIPS (selected)
International Forum of the Greek College of Surgeons, Athens, Greece, Seminar
"Solid Tumors: Molecular pathology and staging of chondrosarcoma and osteosarcoma"
11th Greek Congress of Pathology, Patras, Greece, Invited Lecture
"Molecular pathogenesis of bone metastasis"
IUCP, Courses in Pathology, Seminar
Slide seminar on bone and soft tissue sarcomas
8th Congress of the Greek Society of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Patras, Greece, Invited Lecture
"Molecular pathogenesis of sarcomas"
Shoulder and Knee Trauma Seminar, Patras, Greece, Seminar
"Anatomy of the rotator cuff"
3rd Greek Congress on distruction osteogenesis, Patras, Greece, Invited Lecture
"Molecular mechanisms involved in DO"
65th Greek Congress of Orthopedics, Thessaloniki, Greece, Invited Lecture
"Pathogenesis of osteoarthritis"
1st Seminar of the IntraUniversity Research Network "BioTargeting", Patras, Greece, Seminar
"Topic: Mesenchymal Stem Cells"
Seminar on "Hip Joint Replacement-Hard Bearing and Modularity", Vytina, Greece
Topic: Molecular Mechanisms and Pathology of Debris-related Osteolysis"
Postgraduate Seminar of the College of Greek Surgeons, Athens Greece
12th Seminar on Spinal Column Biomechanics, Biotechnology and Research, Athens, Greece
Postgraduate Seminar of the Greek Oncology Society, Patras, Greece, Seminar
"Advances in Oncology: Pathogenesis of bone metastases-Targeted therapy strategies"
24th Greek Congress of Family Medicine, Kyllini, Greece, Invited Lecture
68th Greek Congress of Orthopedics, Athens, Greece, Invited Lecture
"Pathogenesis of osteoarthritis"
Organizer, 1st Workshop of the IntraUniversity Network "Osteonet", Patras, Greece, Opening Lecture and Invited Lecture
"Osteoarthritis: Challenges and Novel Approaches-Molecular Mechanisms and Novel Metabolic Pathways Implicated in the Pathobiology of Osteoarthritis: Lessons from Mouse Models"
Postgraduate Seminars of the Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital of Patras, Seminar
"Structure and Strength of Cartilage"
Postgraduate Seminar of the Greek Oncology Society, Patras, Greece, Seminar
"Woman and Cancer: from Prevention to Therapy"
Seminar of IEEE EMBS Student Chapter of the University of Patras, Greece
Seminar on Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Regeneration Medicine
Annual Postgraduate Seminar of the Greek Oncology Society, Patras, Greece, Seminar
"Pathogenesis of Bone Metastases"
Seminar of IEEE EMBS Student Chapter of the University of Patras, Greece, Seminar
"Medical Robotics and Simulations"
Postgraduate Course of the Salonica Society of Orthopedic Surgeons, Thessaloniki, Greece, Invited Lecture
"Advances in Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis"
Organizer, 2nd Workshop of the IntraUniversity Network "Osteonet", Patras, Greece, Opening Lecture and Invited Lecture
"Osteoporosis: Molecular Mechanisms, Novel Diagnostic Approaches and Current Therapeutic Strategies"
14th Annual Congress of the Greek Pathology Society, Athens, Greece
"Unfolding the Molecular Mechanisms Implicated in the Pathogenesis of Bone Metastasis"
70th Greek Congress of Orthopedics, Athens, Greece, Invited Lecture
"Molecular Pathogenesis and Histopathology of Pseudotumors Developing after Total Hip Replacement"
6th Congress of Greek Biomechanics Society, Patras, Greece, Invited Lecture
"Biomechanics of Tissues and Organs"
Seminar on Upper and Lowere Limb Surgery, Athens, Greece, Seminar
"Histological Findind or Rotator Cuff Rapture"
Annual Postgraduate Seminar of the Greek Oncology Society, Patras, Greece, Seminar"Molecular Pathogenesis of Prostate Cancer and Metastsis"
Pathology Seminar Series of the Greek Society of Pathologists, Athens, Greece, Seminar
"Pathology of the non-Neoplastic Bone Diseases" and "Patholgy of Chondroblastic Tumors"
Arthroscopy Course of the Orthopedic Department of the University of of Patras, Greece, Invited Lecture
"Biology and Biomechanics of Articular Cartilage"
Combined Seminar of the Orthopedic Clinics of Western Greece, Ioannina, Greece, Invited Lecture
"Tissue Reaction to Orthopedic Implants"
6th Congress of the Greek Arthroscopic Society, Patras, Greece, Invited Lecture
Seminar Series of the Greek Society of Oncologists, Athens, Greece, Seminar
"Melanoma, Sarcoma, CNS Tumors"
Postgraduate Seminar of the Greek Oncology Society, Patras, Greece, Seminar
"Woman and Cancer: from Prevention to Therapy-The RANK/RANKL System in the prevention and prognosis of malignancies"
15th Annual Congress of the Greek Society of Pathologists, Ioannina Greece, Slide Seminar
"Interesting cases of soft tissue tumors: Myxoid Tumors”
4th Seminar on Clinical Anatomy of the Shoulder: Shoulder Histology, Larissa, Thessaly, Greece
15th Seminar on “Progress in Oncology: Tumors of Head and Neck”, Patras, Greece
4th Educative Oncololgy Meeting of Western-Greece: “Challenges in the study of PDL-1” , Patras, Greece
"Woman and Cancer: from Gene to Therapy “Immunotherapy for Gynecological and Great Malignancies”, Patras, Greece
Postgraduate Seminars of the Hellenic Society of Pathology. Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology, Thessaloniki, Greece
June 2017: Invited Lecture at Oxford University, UK, Botnar Seminar Serires. Title of the invited lecture: “Bone and High-Density Lipoprotein: The beginning of a beautiful friendship”
5th Seminar on Clinical Anatomy of the Shoulder: Shoulder Histology, Larissa, Thessaly, Greece
1st Masterclass in Rare Cancers focus on Sarcomas». Complexity in diagnosis: need for pathology experts, Athens, Greece
2nd Masterclass in “Sarcoma and Rare Tumors” of the Hellenic Group of Sarcoma and Rare Tumors (HGSRT). “The most difficult diagnosis”, Athens, Greece
2nd Seminar on Clinical Anatomy of the Foot: Foot Histology, Larissa, Thessaly, Greece
Postgraduate Seminars of the Hellenic Society of Pathology. Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology, Lipomatous Tumors, Athens, Greece
3rd Masterclass in “Sarcoma and Rare Tumors” of the Hellenic Group of Sarcoma and Rare Tumors (HGSRT). “The most difficult diagnosis”, Athens, Greece (President of the organising committee)
Lectures on selected topics on Musculoskeletal Oncology/Pathology, Postgraduate Program “Musculoskeletal Oncology: Diagnosis-Therapy-Research” University of Athens (ΕΚΠΑ)
4th Masterclass in “Sarcoma and Rare Tumors” of the Hellenic Group of Sarcoma and Rare Tumors (HGSRT). “The most difficult diagnosis”, Athens, Greece (President of the organising committee)
PhD Theses Advisor
6 undergraduate studeants, 4 PhD students, 4 postgraduatre students
FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR RESEARCH
- 2020: European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 874896 SC1-BHC-07-2019 (SBR) : Regenerative medicine: from new insights to new applications (Participant; co-ordinator Prof. Elias Panagiotopoulos)
- 2010-2014: Marie Curie Reintegration Grants (IRG), Call: FP7-PEOPLE-RG-2009, #256402-« apoeosteoarthritis » (100.000 Euros) code: D001. Principal Investigator
- 2010-2013 : KARATHEODORI Research Grant, University of Patras, Faculty of Medicine (33.000 Euros) code : D155. Principal Investigator
- 2013-2016: KARATHEODORI Research Grant, University of Patras, Faculty of Medicine (33.000 Euros) code : E073 Co-Investigator
- 2007-2010: “Molecular, Immunohistochemical, Morphological analyses and Predictors of Local and Distant Recurrent and Outcome in Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcoma” IRB #: 0612060, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA (role: participant; coordinator: Dr Uma Rao, MD)
(Present and Current)
- Sarcoma Research International
- World Journal of Orthopedics
Guest Editor: 2022 Special Issue “Advances in the Biology and Therapy of Bone Tumors” for the “International Journal of Molecular Sciences”
(1) International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, (2) Histology and Histopathology, (3) Current Medicinal Chemistry, (4) Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, (5) Journal of Medical Case Reports, (6) BBA-GEN, (7) Pathology – Research and Practice, (8) Tumor Biology, (9) Molecular Biology Reports, (10) World Journal of Gastroenterology. (11) Biomed Res International (12) FEBS Journal. (13) World Journal of Orthopedics. (14) Sarcoma Research (15) PLoS1, (16) Cell Physiol Biochem, (17) micrRNA, (18) Oncotarget, (19) Laboratory Investigation, (20) Bone Research
on topics related to bone and soft tissue sarcomas, bone and cartilage metabolic and degenerative conditions, general surgical / cancer pathology and biology.
Grant Reviewer for:
- National Health and Medical Research Council Greece
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, Portugal
- Institutional internal grants program at the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC)
- COST proposal reviewer for the Swiss participation in the COST Action BM1105
LCAT as a novel pharmaceutical target for the treatment of NAFLD (PCT/GR2011/000026) (Co- inventor). In collaboration with Dr. Kypreos, Unit of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine Faculty of Medicine, School of Health Sciences, University of Patras.
2022-present: Coordinator of the “Bone and Soft Tissue Working Group” of the Hellenic Society of Pathology
2022: Guest Editor: Special Issue “Advances in the Biology and Therapy of Bone Tumors” for the “International Journal of Molecular Sciences”
2020-present: Vice President of the Hellenic Group of Sarcoma and Rare Tumors (HGSRT) (EOSSO)